1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultimate Winter Food Prep

Discussion in 'Food & Water Storage' started by South Nation Survival, Dec 14, 2017.

1. South Nation Survival

It's that time of year again. Regardless of your faith(or lack thereof), this winter food prep has hit the sales floor at nearly every grocery store. What is regarded as inedible to some(perhaps most), is a nutrient-dense, forever-food.

"The worst gift is fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other." -Johnny Carson

Fruitcake is known for lasting forever. Although an acquired taste to some, it's an invaluable food prep because of it's longevity and nutrient density. If you don't want to buy one, here's a simple recipe we found in the winter 2017 issue of Explore magazine;

-2-3/4 cups flour -1/4 tbsp salt
    -1 tsp baking powder -2 tbsp vanilla extract
    -1/2 lb butter -1/2 lb sugared cherries
    -1 cup white sugar -1 lb bleached sultana raisins
    -3 eggs - 1/2 cup warm water

Cut up fruit into small bits and add to the mixture of remaining ingredients. Place in a springform pan lined with parchment paper. Bake at 300° F for 2-3 hours.

Let us know your thoughts on this festive food prep, and share your recipes!

-SNS

Tom Swartzbaugh likes this.
  2. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I’ve had fruitcake once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Depends, my grandmother used to make a really good fruitcake. I could eat the whole thing myself.

Some can be decent to good, others are hideous. But you can eat them.

Hammer likes this.