1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

to me, the urban camper thing makes no sense.

Discussion in 'Urban Camping' started by schizm, Jan 8, 2018.

1. schizm

schizm Banned Member

it's for those whom the Salvation army has kicked out. If you fly a sign, work craigslist gigs, sell your plasma, you can make $100 a week, easily. You can find an old car for $300 and live in it as you fix it up. For a while, no need of plates or insurance. It can have bad tranny, noisy muffer, bad brakess, blown head gasket, a rod about to go out, be rusty and dented, but if it keeps out the weather will lock up, and will move a mile per day, half a mile at a time, you can do stealth camping in it. ASAP, of course, get a 6k per semester college loan and buy a sub $2000 minivan. Nobody notices such vans at all. you can privacy tint it yourself, cheaply. Lowe's sells the materials. The only tool needed is a squeegie.

2. schizm

schizm Banned Member

Three times in my life, I've had to start with nothing, and this is how I did it. They give you a pell grant that covers your fees and tuition. The college loan, u can use for whatever you wish. it's at 7% per year, but they'll accept monthly payments of $6o on each $6000 owed to the dept of education. You do have to maintain a C average in college, but in most liberal arts, psychology, or craft classes, that's very easy to do. Dont be stupid. Take classes on stuff that you'll have a job, like law enforcement, nursing, teaching, In these majors, your loans will be forgiven, 1 year of loan for 1 year of service in such careers.

3. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Don't buy the stuff about the loans being forgiven for LE.
    Some places may pay you back once you are employed, but that ain't all.
    Still paying mine off.

And the car better have tags and insurance if you are going to park on the street. Many places that's a towable offense.
    Almost better to pick up a $500 travel trailer and park it in a private lot. Some may trade power and water for your "security services" depends on the location.

4. schizm

schizm Banned Member

yeah, but the loans will be paid back if you do 10 years in law enforcement. If somebody's telling you differently, you better check with dept of education. your loans should be getting "deferred", with no interest acruing. Sure, you plate it and insure it ASAP, but it's low risk for a couple of weeks. Being a vagrant is a lock-upable offense, too, and that's what these urban campers ARE. The trailer marks you for thieves and cops and very few places will agree to leave it parked there, without a big fee. If you've got something with which to TOW the trailer, just leave the non-essential stuff in a public storage. $35 a month for a 5x5 ft one, and live in your car, until you can get a van. The trailer requires its own license plate and in some places, its own insurance, so it's a loser idea.

5. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Urban camping, in a plated trailer is probably the safest and least likely to get you labeled a vagrant. Least where I worked.

Funny thing, some metro cops had a trailer parked behind their PD and were living there during their down time, only commuting home on their weekends.

Vans attract LE attention, that's a fact.
    Old beaters especially, and a "murdered" out "rape van", will get it's share of attention.

Right now I know of three people living in trailers behind various businesses. Part of their pay is that spot.

The bonus to the employer is the employee doesn't miss work because of traffic. Need groceries, take the work truck.

One employer I had years ago kept a couple rental properties and would give them to the employee at a screaming deal. Free.
    The employee "made" less but had less expenses thereby taking more "cash" home and paying less taxes.

10 years many or may not pay off the loans, some departments pay considerably less than one might think.
    And some states pay a trifle if you get hurt.

6. schizm

schizm Banned Member

trailer life aint camping, for starters. cargo vans get noticed, mini-vans do not. I lived in one for 4 years, 3 years of it straight, and never once had a problem. If you are legally parked and move it at least half a mile, about 7 am and 10 pm, you'll never be noticed. $35 a month gets you a legit place to park at a gym like Planet Fitness, with access to wifi, electricity, shower toilet, out of the weather. I got lucky, got a membership on sale, $10 a month. You can privacy tint a van yourself. Dont show a light at night, don't trash the area, and nobody will give a damn that you live in it. The van is protection from a vagrancy charge. you DO have a means of support, it's right there in front of you and the cop. All you ever really have to do to avoid trouble when van living is take ONE class at a jr college, about $600 a year, and you'll be a 'student", have an ID, etc. The van can make you money, doing craigslist odd jobs. It helps you get work at day labor places, too. A trailer does nothing of the kind. The van can be parked anywhere, and it can be moved to the south for the winter and up north for the summer. You need a vehicle to tow the trailer, and if it's not your trailer, you can't move it. A few lucky deals does not make the overall game plan worth a hoot.

7. schizm

schizm Banned Member

People in general are lazy, stupid, and wasteful. If you have curtains in the window of the min-van, show a light at night, leave it parked for days at a time in one place, have obvious "living-gear" visible thru the windows, a bed in it, etc, yeah, you'll get noticed! :) I never once cooked in the van in 4 years. I used a pee jar, and a maybe 5x in 4 years had to resort to the kitty litter pan. I installed my own privacy tint, and always just parked close to some place where I could use the toilet. I cut in half a pair of chest of drawers, used one pair to replace the passenger seat. Bungee strap them down/shut. There's lots of room in a van if you know how to utilize it. You can leave almost everything in a rental storage if you're not traveling. If you travel, you can hang a hammock over your stuff.

Shower at the gym, use the microwave at the convenience store. SA mission for supper, a church for lunch, and other wise, I ate staples from the food pantries. I've eaten many a can of beans or ChefboyArDee spaghetti without heating it. I didn't mind it at all after the first few times. Sure, I could have bought or made an alcohol stove. i just didn't find it to be necessary. Fixing food makes a mess, and attracts bugs. I didn't want to bother with the cleanup. I just used plastic spoons and tossed each one every day. I slept on 3 couch cushions, using a sleeping bag, all of which would be covered with a blanket when not in use. You can make a "sleeping box" for yourself, out of particle board, which keeps anyone from seeing you. if you're legally parked, there's nothing that can be done about your vehicle.. Just ignore any calls or knocks. They will leave eventually, and once they do, you'd danged well better move (and not park there again).

#7 schizm, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

created an urban/stealth camping category.

9. schizm

schizm Banned Member

need a "how to build traffic here" category

10. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, forums are tough these days. Everyone is on Facebook Groups but with their censors and bs agenda I offer this as an alternative.