1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious Question - Please help?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Melissa@whitetree, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Melissa@whitetree

Melissa@whitetree Well-Known Member
    Donating Member

Today I am going to go get fingerprinted so that I can get my license here in Indiana.

The reason I am doing this is because several weeks ago, one of my neighbors sort-of forced his way into our house. He knocked on the screen door, and when I didn't answer he opened the screen door and POUNDED on the cheap aluminum front door which then popped open, and he came inside. (He is a drug addict and knew that I had some pain meds in the house.)

When he did this, instinct took over and I immediately rushed towards him, screaming at him to get out. He left and everything was fine. But I have a feeling that if my instinct had gone the other way and I had run away from him that there would have been a whole different outcome. His instinct might have been to chase me.

Does that make sense?

So all I keep thinking is that I need to be able to protect myself and my family. But here's the question....... I want to get a gun that is strong enough to STOP an intruder, but not strong enough to KILL somebody unless I aim for a kill shot. I know a 22 won't stop a squirrel......but how about a 9 mil?

I know there are theories out there like "don't ever pull a gun unless you're ready to kill somebody".......and I believe that I COULD kill someone if I had to.....I just would rather not. Know what I mean?

NO ONE in my family has guns. I mean NO ONE. So I don't have anyone to talk to about this. Somebody help?

5 people like this.
  2. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

Get a taser or pepper spray instead. If someone breaks into my house and rushes me or my family it's lights out with a .40. It's not my fault you chose to have the bad day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Well-Known Member
    Donating Member

Generally people say shotgun is best for home use. There are some less lethal options for them as well.

5 people like this.
  4. Melissa@whitetree

Donating Member

I carry a taser in my car, and pepper spray in my purse. I really don't want to have to get that close to someone -- I'm only 5'3" and while I am meaner than a junkyard dog if someone threatens my kid, I am also very easy to pick up and twirl around like a stuffed animal (sometimes it suxx to be a girl!!)

2 people like this.
  5. Melissa@whitetree

Donating Member

Yeah, I thought about a shotgun. My concern there is the scatter.....I live in a trailer, which is basically wooden paneling nailed up over cheap insulation. Wouldn't the shotgun blast go through that and possibly hurt someone in the next room or outside?

6. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

How about a better front door :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

7. Melissa@whitetree

Donating Member

Oh yeah!!! The steel door was installed the very next day!!! With a deadbolt and one of those hotel safety bars.

4 people like this.
  8. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Non lethal options are great and the shotgun is excellent choice too.If i was staying in a trailer and keeping in mind the length of the shotgun and the small area to manuevre,i would choose .38special revolver;easy to conceal and carry,you can learn to shoot it easy,cheap and available ammo,imho....

2 people like this.
  9. Melissa@whitetree

Donating Member

BTW......before I get any gun, I will be taking a 4 hour course with a private instructor. He has many different handguns and will let me shoot them all and help me decide which is the best for me. Once we have decided, he will show me how to break it down and clean it and put it back together and load it and whatever else I need to know. Then my next 4 hour session will be after I buy my own gun and we will work solely with my weapon.

I'm not just planning on buying a gun and not having any training.

5 people like this.
  10. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Well-Known Member
    Donating Member

The first thing I did when I bought a semi-auto pistol was to break it down and clean it - I watched YouTube videos before I took my NRA class, and familiarized myself with field stripping it - that got me comfortable with holding the pistol and with the insides, etc. Then, when I got to the class, I wasn't so novice and making stupid moves.

11. rmagnus

rmagnus Well-Known Member

There are many things I consider wrong in your post. Three obvious ones are:
    1: Invest in a better front door and lock system.
    2. Yes a 9mm will stop a squirrel. :)
    3. A CCW holder NEVER shoots to kill but to stop the threat.

I recommend taking training. Carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility. The aftermath is something to be prepared for as it's no small issue. CCW holders should have a good firearms attorney to turn to.

Your post implies you don't have much experience with firearms. Training and practice are very important elements. This includes your family. They need to know how to be safe with a firearm in the house. Seems like you're on the right path (its a long one BTW) now go to Home Depot for that front door and lock.

Best wishes.
    PS Most calibers work fine .38, 9mm, .40 & .45 are all common. Many are passionate about firearm recommendations. It's all good. With hands on time you'll figure out what works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 people like this.
  12. 50stars

50stars Well-Known Member

Get a shotgun with beanbag rounds

2 people like this.
  13. Melissa@whitetree

Donating Member

Ok....better door was installed the very next day. Does CCW mean concealed carry? I don't want to take my gun out of the house. Good advice about the attorney - I will find one right away. I was glad to see #3 - I believe that whole "only shoot to kill" stuff is a bunch of macho BS. The second 4 hour training session includes family members so that we will all learn how to be safe. I researched many gun safety courses and this was the only one that included family members, and that is a large part of why I chose this instructor.

Last question......do squirrels taste good with Franks Red Hot? :p

14. rmagnus

rmagnus Well-Known Member

Not sure about Franks Red Hots but when in the Marines we ate everything with a generous helping of hot sauce. Make everything taste better!

Good job on the door. BTW one of the best door restrictors is a steel bar stock placed at the foot of the door. It can be rotated to allow the door to open a jar or removed to allow the door to open fully. Downside is installation requires a hole to be drilled in the floor. Low tech but with a solid door the bad guys might as well use another entrance.

Yes CCW (concealed carry weapon) all states are very different. Even just being an armed citizen in your house means taking responsibility. There is much bravado regarding self defense, take most of what's on the Internet with a grain of salt as they say. If you ever have to use a weapon particularly a firearm you're going to have aftermath to deal with. Even bad guys have family members who will sue. Given you want a home defense weapon you should research a shotgun. Many will agree it's very versatile and with proper ammunition over penetration is restricted. An added bonus is makes for a great weapon to hunt with.

Any firearm training you take is beneficial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 people like this.
  15. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Well-Known Member

With instincts to run towards the threat, I think you are tougher than you give yourself credit for. Find a firearm that fits your hand, doesn't kick like a mule and continue with the training. Sounds like you are on the right track. Hope you never have to use it and pray your aim straight if you do!

2 people like this.
  16. willyp00

willyp00 Well-Known Member

Most drug addicts avoid confrontation and pick on easy targets. They don't want to be identified or arrested. That said, some drug addicts are bat shit crazy. Volunteer at a local first responder rehab thing. Guns are not bad, idiots and brain damaged people with guns are bad. Criminals are why you need a gun and learn how to use it, and when.

17. willyp00

When seconds count, police are minutes away

18. willyp00

A CCW never has a gun until they kill with it. That's the reason it's concealed. Waving a gun around and telling everyone to stop is idiotic. Either kill the bad guy or act like you don't have a gun. A gun doesn't guarantee control over a situation, particularly if others have them and mean harm. Dead bad guys does guarantee that control.

It only takes one real fire fight to clarify this. Massive responsibility. Hope you never have to experience this, but hope more that you can handle it.

#18 willyp00, Mar 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  19. schizm

schizm Banned Member

if you dont WEAR the pistol around your house, you probably wont get to it in time. Ditto ANY longarm. If you dont miss the perp, you wont have to worry about where bullet's gone, assuming a good hollowpoint that actually expands in the man. I recommend the Cor Bon Powerball series. I also recommend getting and airsoft copy of your ccw pistol and practicing with it a lot. No trip to the range is necessry, no range fee, about 1/2 cent per shot, no blood if you mess up, either. :) wear eye protection tho. A vacumn cleaner sucks up the pellets. Do NOT try to re-use them. You'll jam up the action of your gun, almost certainly. Hang an old sheet to catch the airsoft pellets. there are forums about airsoft and combat training. Google for them. There's lots of good vids on youtube about this, too. Just go to YT and type in your search question. I'd rather have a pistol and Norton "ear valve" ear plugs (on a spring band around my neck, normally) than a shotgun and no ear protection. you can't even IMAGINE how loud guns are when fired inside of a small room! WOW! That pain IS noticed by your brain/ears, even if not consciously and it DOES lead to flinching/missing with subsequent shots.

20. texagonian

texagonian New Member

Yep. OP this taser/pepper spray is a good idea. Will take a bit before you’re ready for close quarters shooting with a new handgun. Find someone to help provide guidance and skills with your new handgun. Check into Insurance to help with legal costs after a shooting.