1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruger Boat Anchor

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Whirlibird, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Put on a CCW class this weekend.
    One of the attendees brought a Ruger P94.

The old metal frame Rugers, heavy as a brick, fair ergonomics, miniscule mag release, seemingly getting uglier as you look at them.

Had to have a few words with the owner about leaving under the seat of the car where all the salt and road muck can make a mess of them as we knocked the rust off one of the mags.

A few drops of oil, I hate to say it but the trigger (factory) was as good as any Beretta or Sig, and better than some 'trigger jobs' coming out of major shops.

Typical P-series loose fit, but the barrel locked up bank vault tight.

The gun chewed up nearly 300 remanufactured .40's, never a bobble.
    I fired a couple of rounds through it, and I was reminded why I have long recommended the Ruger "P's" for those on a budget.

Excellent accuracy, reliable and affordable. Just wondering what a .357 Sig barrel would do in it now.

I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for any used P-series that cross my path.

Something to be said for a pistol that can be used to drive in the fence post not just the staples.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  2. schizm

schizm Banned Member

if I was going to haul around that much bulk and weight, i'd have a folding stocked carbine. Sheesh

3. Whirlibird

Can't carry a folding stock carbine on your hip without someone noticing.

I've carried worse.
    One shows up at the right price, I'll own it or two, or three.
    Affordable and reliable. That's what makes me give them a second look.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  4. schizm

schizm Banned Member

lots of stuff qualifies under such low standards. No reason to waste money on more than one. I wont carry something that I dont think is top notch for the job. 3 clunks cost the same as one really nice pistol and you can only shoot one at a time (worth a hoot) If you have your gun siezed as evidence, you have LOTS worse problems (as in 50K+) than replacing a pistol.

5. Whirlibird

Clunker has different meanings to different people.

As a gunsmith, I saw one P series gun broken in 30 years. Can't say that about most others.

As a parent, I can spend $1500+ on a nice 1911 for me, or I can get guns for all the kids that will still work long after my Glock is useless.

I have no problem trusting a P series gun, heavy and ugly, they work.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  6. schizm

schizm Banned Member

I've always thought that if the kids really wanted a gun, they'd get their own, and train with it.

7. schizm

schizm Banned Member

I was a 1911 fan for decades, but for competition, not for ccw. Now i'd never bother with a steel frame govt model. An alloy 9mm commander is the 'big gun" these days. :) The ccw gun is a Micro 9 Kimber. If you load it right, a pocket 9mm offers more stopping power than a typical 4" 357 with 125 gr jhps, and a LOT more than a 2.5" 357 with 158 gr jhps. Cause the latter will only get 1150 fps and wont expand reliably in critters, after the nose cavity is "plugged" with clothing. The velocity is just too low. Repeat hit speed is twice as slow as it should be, too.

8. schizm

schizm Banned Member

a couple of 9x21mm' Split Nose bullets, 45 grs at 2200 fps, in the chest, .17 second apart, creating 4 wound tracks, with the temporary gas cavities tearing up any vital organ tissue that's "caught" between the full length segments as they yaw/tumble thru the target, is every bit as likely to suffice as an off center 00 buck blast. Most of the latter WILL be off-center, too. If you were going to take the time to center the buckshot pattern, you'd be using a sound-suppressed M4 with softppoints, practicing a lot more often, with the 3x cheaper 223 ammo or the 15x cheaper .22lr ammo in the Ciener conversion unit. You choose the shotgun, cause you dont want to practice enough with the rifle.

9. Whirlibird

9x21 pocket Kimber?
    This I gotta see.
    Links please.

10. schizm

schizm Banned Member

any 9mm can be re-chambered to take the .080" longer case of the 9x21. It just means that you have to use bullets no longer than the 90 gr jhp, and seat them slighhtly deeper into the case. Since the case is longer, the feeding ogive is the same and you have more caseneck tension to prevent bullet push back. Most people have no ability to abstract anything new,you see. To them, the bullet has to stay the same stupid length of the 115 gr jhp, at least. The 9x21 is popular in Italy, cause it's not a military rd and military calibers are forbidden to civilians.

11. Whirlibird

So you rechambered a perfectly good 9mm for an obscure option?
    Doesn't seem like a practical choice for survival, especially considering the lack of defensive ammunition available in the US.
    Especially when the common 9x19 will no longer properly headspace in the new chamber.

12. schizm

schizm Banned Member

so a guy who blows $1500 on guns can't even imagine buying a spare barrel for one?

13. schizm

schizm Banned Member

you wont be practicing if shtf, so a couple of mags of pistol ammo better last you for decades. If you're not using a sound suppressed rifle for your gun needs, you soon wont have any needs. So the idea that you'll need lots of pistol ammo for shtf is a silly one. You''d better solve 90% of your gun issues at night, with subsonic .22's thru the silencer, or you wont be around long. The game will all be gone a month or 2 after shtf, guys. The main source of meat is going to be livestock, taken the first week of shtf, and dried/salted put into buried drums, with the stolen grain. There isn't going to be any hunting getting done. Just being outside in daylight hours will get you shot at.

Everyone imagines that they are (or will be) so "remote", but there's no place in the lower 48 states that's more than a night's motorcycle ride and a night's walk, from millions of people. It's really easy to put your BOB on the handlebars/tank, and a 5 gallon jerrycan of gas front and back of a buddy rest, another on t he front fender, and two more in the saddlebag position. 25 gallons of gas, x 40 mpg (and some of the smaller ones, with fairings and small rear sprockets can get 80mpg) 1000-2000 miles of range. In that 1000 miles, bikers are bound to find stalled cars, tractors, combines, farms/ranches with gravity-fed gas tanks, too So dont kid yourself that you wont have company, and lots of it. If you think that your neighbors will watch their kids starve instead of killing you and taking your stuff, you're very wrong. Nobody's ever fully prepped and they can be attacked, burned out in one night, rendering them looters, too. So "townies" aint all you have to worry about. And every gun you have aint about shtf, either. My 9x21 is my daily ccw. Might as well hit the attacker as hard as possible. The solid aluminum bullets, moving at 2200 fps, are AP, and legally so. My state does not require a lead core in handgun bullets. I've hit big feral dogs with it and with 230 gr .45 jhp's, and the 9x21 segmented loads out perform the jhp's all to hell. The 230 gr are going too slow to expand in flesh. That's why the 185 gr jhp's EXIST, ya know. :)

14. Whirlibird

Funny, never had any problems with .45 expanding in critters. Must really be about placement.

Right now, you couldn't pay me enough to carry some handcrafted super duper whiz bang round. Simply put, if the crime lab can't replicate the shooting conditions to prove that Shamiqua is lying when she said that "he was standing over Jamaal and executed him!", rather than the 23 feet it actually was.

I'll avoid that trap/mistake.
    Spent too much time fighting lawyers to want to leave my freedom in their hands especially if it's something so simple to avoid.

15. schizm

schizm Banned Member

were the critters shooting at you, from the dark, while using cover? There is no shot placement in a lethal confrontation.. That's all a bunch of chest-beating bs. If you could do so, why not just always hit the brain? then you'd not need to lug around that big clunk of a gun. Even if you explode the heart, the brain still has 4-5 second's worth of oxygenated blood in the cranium, This is proven all the time with a full choke in the UFC ring. Both carotid arteries are fully shut off, but the guy is able to fight for several seconds. Anyone can easily fire 4 shots per second, so 4 seconds means 15 rds can come your way, even after the guy takes many hits to the chest. The only reason guys drop to the shot to the body is a lucky spine hit, or a psychological stop. Enough pain and shock makes most people QUIT, but they are not incapacitated for many seconds after being hit.