1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not very expensive battle harness

Discussion in 'Survival Packs & Kits' started by mountainman, Apr 3, 2017.

1. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

2. schizm

schizm Banned Member

If you're not a merc, there's no point in such stuff. If I'm forced to go to the rifle, there'll be a 20 rd mag in the gun, so that I can go prone well, and a 30 rder in each back pocket. With the silencer, luminous sights, and the same setup with a .22lr conversion unit and subsonic 22 ammo, by the time I run out of ammo, I'll have dozens of rifles and thousands of rds of ammo, picked up from dead enemies. When you're by yourself, there's zero value in "keeping heads down", recon by fire, etc. If I can't put my sights on him and control the trigger, I wont be firing, I'll either be slinking off or running like hell for cover. If 90% of your shtf shooting isn't silenced subsonic .22lr brain shots, from ambush and around cover, on 1-2 guys, in the dark, you wont last long. Just dont be out and about during daylight hours and you'll be much safer.

Grizzlytaco likes this.
  3. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

If you read the article,you should have seen that I am reservist here.That means that anytime I could called back to the military.So I have to own some sort of good gear available.
    Secondly,the only legal available firearm for someone here is shotgun.No rifles or pistols or revolvers....no 22s or 9mm or or 45 or anything else...
    Everyone has a different plan which based on his area and adapts to his own needs and problems he has to overcome....

Good actions give strength ourselves and inspire good things in others.
    Plato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grizzlytaco likes this.
  4. schizm

schizm Banned Member

if any thing happens, you're in a world of crap, bro

5. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Nice setup, long as it fits you and you are comfortable with it, nothing to sneeze at.

Just having the means of defense, you're still light years ahead of most of the people.

Good articles by the way.

mountainman likes this.
  6. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you ,Whirlibird!

Plato

7. Whirlibird

So to take this down a different rabbit hole, what kind of natural resources are you looking at there in Greece?
    Fish/seafood?
    Scroungables?
    Imports/trade goods?

As I recall from another forum several years back, pre immigration crisis, there was money to be made and resources for the willing to work.

Ignoring politics, if possible, what can you do there to further your objectives, those of surviving?

8. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

The town (population ~5000)where I live is located between sea and mountain.my house is one of the last houses upon the hill.
    I don’t have a fishing boat but I can fish from the shore in some places.Hunting is also available;I hunt,hike and camp.You can find quails,woodcocks,pheasants,rabbits,wild boars,doves.Up the mountain there are wolfs and jackals as concerns predators.there are wood heavy areas with pines,spruces and oak but also some areas are naked,plain rock or low vegetation.There are small creeks and a big river can be located at 30 miles from here.
    Herbs and wild edible plants are available too.
    Me and my wife work at a hotel.From April to October;when the season ends ,I work couple weeks at the olive fields, harvesting olives(I make oil and pickled olives too)and cutting wood for the fireplace.....I used to prepped for one;I have food supplies,tools,water,couple medical stuff and other stuff...now I need to think preps for my wife too....
    I used to write articles for the Self Reliance Illustrated magazine and sometimes I sell gear or things that I don’t need on eBay.I belong to another forum too,LTWK Pout House and now as I am writing this, a knife that I had designed as custom will probably build at a small run for first time.

What do you want to know about imports?in general as country or what I buy?
    Natural resources like natural gas and oil?

Plato

9. Whirlibird

From a survival or even daily life direction, what kind of imports are you looking at?
    What are you dependent upon from other places vs what can you local source?

What can you make vs what are you forced to bring in?

10. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Daily and or survival perspective imports; celox or quick clot,anything related with communication(vhf radios,cb etc)firearm and ammunition(although I can find some of good quality locally),gear like packs,clothing,knives,camp gear etc....then we have cars,motorcycles....electronics...

Plato

11. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Argicultural production is high,fishing too.there isn’t much of heavy industry ....unfortunately...,

Plato

12. Whirlibird

Interesting, I haven't spent much time recently considering that area but it seems that it definitely has interesting opportunities that I am jealous about.

Olive oil for cooking and light/heating, the previously mentioned seafood, grains for making bread and pastas.
    I hadn't considered the quantity of small and medium game options, but those seem like a great way to really put things back there,
    as well as the herbs/wild edibles.

Do you do much dehydrating, smoking or canning? Just thinking out loud of ways to put back whats commonly available.
    Inexpensive ways to fill your "time off" while still building your preps. Gear is great, but food is what keeps us going.

Hammer likes this.
  13. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to buy a dehydrator,it’s on my priority list.The pickled olives last 18 months...I am learning a recipe to preserve fish,like sardines,in oil and vinegar....you must fillet the fish first....
    I am trying to establish a good level of wood carving(spoons,bowls ) and leather crafting too.
    I have a small bucket garden where I grown vegetables...
    I had made a simple rain water collection system,using a 200ltr barel,a very fine net as first filter and worked well...now I am thinking to make it bigger...lol
    In my future plans,I want to buy couple acres of land so I can raise live stock like chickens and rabbits and also grow vegetables and fruits like apple,lemon....
    I have one lemon tree,two orange trees and a mandarin tree at the garden now...

Plato

14. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Mountainman! Its been awhile! I like these belts and have been wanting one for some time! There are alot of ways to set these up!
    I hope all is good with you! I haven't been on in awhile since starting my You-Tube channel! I've been thinking about this site and i'm gonna be around more!

mountainman likes this.
  15. Whirlibird

How much space do you have to work with, because you can build a fairly substantial dehydrator fairly easily and inexpensively.
    Plus you can do a solar version, saving electricity costs.
    Somewhere around here I have some pretty decent plans.....

Hammer likes this.
  16. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Not much space....I will have more when I found the land I am looking for....

Plato

17. Whirlibird

Hmm, let me think about that.