1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are you familiar with "fire rolling" to start a fire?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by schizm, Jan 9, 2018.

1. schizm

schizm Banned Member

how about the use of a AA battery and insulated wire to start a fire? If you have a wire, but no insulation, just wrap the wire with something. a bit of clothing, some debris, a hunk of tape. The tape is best, cause it can hold the wire in place on the poles of the battery, until it gets red hot (only takes seconds to achieve) The duct tape will burn readily, if it's shredded and piled up a bit, but really fine wood shavings/feathersticks, with a bit of pine resin, will also ignite quite easily, as will a little chunk of your T shirt. How many emergency fires do you imagine you will need to start? why not just bed the coals in the ashes? It will keep the fire for 8 hours, and you wont get to sleep longer than that, in emergency conditions. You'll be lucky to get 5 hours, mostly.

2. schizm

schizm Banned Member

I've always thought that the friction fire thing was silly. What are the odds that i'm going to lose, or have rendered unusable, my wallet fresnel lense, my Ronson lighter, my ferro rod, and the stormproof matches, and the battery from my light and the one from my cell phone? And along with that I"m going to find the right kind of wood, etc, to make friction fire, and not freeze my butt off before I gather all that and get a friction fire going? zilch, that's what odds.

Total weight of the modern firestarting gear is 2 oz and all of it fits in one hand. In the woods, I also always carry a small roll of duct tape and a 6" hunk of waxed 3/8" cotton rope. One end of the rope is charred, and a bit of coke can tubing is around that end. The tubing lets you adjust the flame. The rope will ignite from just a spark, even if it's soaking wet. It's very useful for transferring embers to your feathersticks.

3. schizm

schizm Banned Member

Other silly things are taking all day to build a primitive shelter, when all you have to do is carry a lb of tarp. If you need to move around, you'll waste a lot of days (and a lot of calories) on the making of shelters! :) Ditto making cordage. Carry half a lb of paracord and wire, and you'll have cordage for months, if not for years. Where can you go that you can't take down phone or electrical wire, or can't find garbage/flotsam/ plastic bags, rope etc, that can be used for cordage? You'll look long and far to find such a place. There's far more important things to know how to do, such as how to extract food from your surroundings. Contrary to the bs that so many have put forward for decades, your performance, mentally and physically, drops off dramatically on your second day without food and it just gets worse and worse if you dont adequately feed yourself. Soon, you're too weak to do anything and too apathetic/depressed to care, either.

4. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

I’m with you on all this. Bush crafting to me is simply a hobby. It’s fun to challenge yourself but in this day and age you aren’t likely to use any of it. Like you said so many other ways to start fire and much less energy to build a shelter. These bushcraft basecamps kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammer and Grizzlytaco like this.
  5. schizm

schizm Banned Member

It's at least 100x more likely that you'll need to draw your ccw pistol or fight hand to hand than you'll ever NEED a fire, or a shelter much less need to make one primitively. I've been attacked several times and very nearly so several more times, but somebody intervened and saved the pos's life, or they realized that they were making an error! :)