1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the best fish recipes forgreat campfire dinner's

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Trapping' started by Gordon Sargent, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Gordon Sargent

Gordon Sargent New Member

I would like to know the best recipes you have used. thank you

2. JP Sang

JP Sang New Member

I wrap trout in aluminum foil with some butter, garlic and salt. Simple and delicious

livingsurvival likes this.
  3. Boomer

Boomer Member

Baked, simple way to fix fish on a campfire, gut (leave head on and do not skin), pack mud around fish and toss in fire. When mud is hard, fish is done. We use to do this all the time as a kid, we would be fishing at night and get hungry!

4. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

I just wrap salmon filets in tin foil with lemon slices and throw in the fire.

5. livingsurvival

Staff Member

6. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

Deep fried in beer batter:
    1. Combine flour and pepper in a large bowl.
    2. Slowly pour in beer, whisking constantly until smooth.
    Served with double fried chips (As in thick cut fries, to Americans), mushy peas and tartar sauce.

7. Boomer

Boomer Member

Baked Fish

I use this recipe on bass and stripers, excellent if you like baked fish

Mayonaise
    Lemon
    Salt
    Black Pepper

Scale fish and filet (leave skin on)
    Squeeze lemon juice over fillets
    Layer fish with 1/4 inch Mayonaise
    Salt and Pepper
    Bake at 350 (this is usually when the Mayo starts to turn brown).

8. Boomer

Boomer Member

Fried Catfish
    corn meal
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder
    cayanne pepper
    hot sauce
    buttermilk
    eggs
    japalenos
    vegetable oil

This recipe works on trout, crappie, perch, bass and catfish.

Depending on the amount of fish I am frying (last fish fry 30 lbs of fillets) is how much I use. You will have to but here is how I mix it, you can add or subtract to get the flavor you want.

Add about a 2 cups buttermilk, hot sauce and the eggs in a large bowl and beat. Add corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayanne pepper into large bowl and mix with hands.

In deep fry pan add oil and get to a rolling boil, and add about 12 whole canned japaleno peppers (these will be left in until the last piece of fish is fried. Dont worry about them becoming black, and do no discard they are good eating.)

Roll fish in milk batter and roll in cornmeal. Add to hot oil.

A lot of people over cook fish, when it floats it is done!

9. carl.padilla

carl.padilla New Member

for my own favorite and I promise you it's good survival food camping is usually the Beer fried fish fillets.
    1 pound of fish fillets, 1/2 pound per person, serves two 1 cup buttermilk pancake mix 1 cup beer 1 cup flour 1/4 cup cooking oil.

- First step is to open the beer and take a sip. We want the Oil to be nice and hot right when we have finished preparing our Fish Fillets, so we should heat that up now. Nice job! Take another sip of beer! We need our Fish Fillets to be cleaned and dried. You COULD buy these Fish Fillets from a store, but hopefully you caught, skinned, cleaned, de-boned, and dried them yourself (because I can't do that). Anyway, take your Fish Fillets and dredge them in the Flour. We want just an even coating of flour all over the fish. Take another sip. Now we want to mix the Pancake mix and about ¾ Cup of beer together. The rest of the beer is for you. Mix it with a fork until it is smooth. Now we want to take our floured Fish Fillets and dip them in the Batter. Again, we want an even coating. Put these Fish Fillets into the oil and cook until the outside is Golden, Brown, and Delicious. Once the outside is done the inside should be nice, moist, and shiny. Only cook two at a time as over crowding the pan when frying is a big No-No. Once they are all done (and you ate the first Lightly Fried Fish Fillet just to make sure it was done and then finished the beer) let them drain a little bit on a paper towel. After that you can sprinkle a little dill, pepper, or lemon on them, but that's not really needed. They are pretty perfect just the way they are.

#9 carl.padilla, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  10. livingsurvival

Staff Member

What oil do you prefer using? BTW I am planning a catch and cook video on my second channel this weekend.