1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of dome shelters?

Discussion in 'Shelter Systems' started by Cameron, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

I just did a test of the Emergency Shelter from Harvest Right and I wanted to get everyone's thoughts. They aren't for weekend camping...more for long-term off-grid living.

livingsurvival likes this.
  2. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Used a couple of different domes over the years, certainly more stable, more weather resistant and more like a real structure than most tents. Depending upon the version of course.

3. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll have to check out the video. This seems like a great idea.

4. six

six Well-Known Member

I watched your video last night. I am on harvest right's mailing list so I've seen some promotional material about the dome shelter and their geodesic green houses. ... It was really nice to see the construction process and learn that it's pretty reasonable (even if not completely ideal) for one person to put it together. Since it isn't man portable, my way of thinking leaves it as a situational use item. Like you said in the video: If you have some land without a structure, it would be a good way to make semi-permanant shelter in a hurry. Perhaps store it at the land.. or if your "bug out" plan includes vehicles it could be ready in a trailer or ready to load in a pickup etc. Hunting camp shelter makes a lot of sense because it isn't an inexpensive item. it would be hard to justify the expense as a "just in case" sort of thing.

Dome shaped shelters make a lot of sense for a lot of reasons because of their advantages in strength and their shape nearly removing all wind load. My wife and I have seriously discussed building a monolithic dome, but there are some real challenges considering that building codes weren't written for round structures with curved walls. It would be a real bummer to build one and then never be able to get the occupancy paperwork signed off on.