1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

painters tarp for hammock need help

Discussion in 'Tents & Hammocks' started by Dylan griffith, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Dylan griffith

Dylan griffith Active Member

so ive been thinking about using painters disposable tarp but i would have to put 2-3 pieces together to make it thicker(durable) how could i put the pieces together thnx in advanced

2. TheSmokinApe

TheSmokinApe Well-Known Member

If yoy are talking about the clear see through tarps, I am not sure they will be durable enough. Maybe you mean the canvas tarps?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

I did a review today on a super nice tarp for the money. By the time you factor in your time it might be worth taking a look at.

TheSmokinApe likes this.
  4. Dylan griffith

no the plastic ones

5. six

six Well-Known Member

If I read this right, you want to make a hammock out of plastic sheet. ... Got an old sandwich press/peneni grill laying around? 6ml plastic sheet can be welded together along the edges if you get the temperature right. But, fair warning: 3 layers of 6ml ~11 feet long by ~5 feet wide is going to end up heavier and bulkier than you think. And, another fair warning: Sleeping in a plastic sheet is going to be a sweaty, noisy, uncomfortable, and probably a dangerous proposition.

The reason I know 6ml HDX sheet can be welded is that for the last 3 years, I've been on again/off again developing a light weight, packable, rapid deploy super shelter (al la Mors Kochansky) and I went through about 12 $99 rolls of 6ml HDX before abandoning HDX as the primary shell. The reason I know plastic sheet is a terrible thing to sleep in/on is that one of my designs included a full floor with a couple of layers of aluminized bubble wrap on the ground side... It was a fiasco.

6. Dylan griffith

no i meant rainfly would a hair straightner
    work

7. six

six Well-Known Member

A hair straightener might be hot enough. I can't be sure though because I've never used one.