1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Favorite Axe and Machete

Discussion in 'Axes & Machetes' started by Southpaw Bushcraft, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Southpaw Bushcraft

Southpaw Bushcraft Active Member

Recently I purchased my new axe. I purchased the Council Tool Boy's Axe. Now I have tried many axes and I have to say for the money this is the best axe I have used for under $50. I love the 28 inch curved hickory handle. Its not so thick that I can't get my hands around it. Since I am a woman I have smaller hands and this is a GREAT fit. I had to sharpen it when I got it. It was VERY easy to sharpen. One thing many may not know about this axe, is that the carbon steel is such a great grade that you can easily strike sparks, and a lot of them, with your ferro rod off this axe. That is not something I was able to do with others.

For my Machete, I have a nontraditional machete I have the SILKY NATA DOUBLE EDGE Japanese Hatchet. To me it works as a hatchet or a machete .Basically you get two tools in one. It comes razor sharp and I still have not had to resharpen it other then a strop here and there since I got it almost a year ago. Just amazing steel. It blasts through wood, brush, and limbs like nothing else. Like any other Silky product, it does not fail. Its comes with a sheath that is quite comfortable on the belt as well. It truly is a beast!

So those are my two top choices. What are yours?

livingsurvival likes this.
  2. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

Council Tool is so much better than the Marbles that Wranglerstar said was the best budget axe. Where I live in Michigan there is only hardwood forests so a machete is really not something I use. I just got a new Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe that is awesome and a GB Wilderness Hatchet for Christmas. I have the Council Tool Hudson Bay axe and it is a great one for a great price. Other axes I own but don't see much use are the Condor Greenland and Marbles Camp Axe. For a synthetic handled axe the SCAXE2L from Schrade is hard to beat.

Southpaw Bushcraft likes this.
  3. AJ ESCUDERO

AJ ESCUDERO Well-Known Member
    Donating Member

4. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't use a matchete,is worthless here...I have found a Wetterlings small hatchet couple years ago for $50 on ebay and i have a larger axe made here,not bad at all....I have seen the Hultafors,Gransfors Bruks and the Councills but if i try to get one the shipping charges will double the price and it is not worth it...so i stick with what i got;)

5. Faz Harris

Faz Harris Active Member

Try the Duku Chandung from My Parangs. Its on Ray Mears' website. I have one. Malaysia timber is also hard, but it prevails.