1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It all started here..... the Evans City Cemetery...

Discussion in 'Zombie Apocalypse' started by Glockensig, May 23, 2017.

1. Glockensig

Glockensig Well-Known Member

On the way back from a recent trip to Pittsburgh (fire training), we took an ever soo slight side excursion to Evan City PA. to see a museum and a graveyard!!
    George Romero, who most consider to be the father of the modern zombie genre, went to school in Pittsburgh and filmed many of his early movies in the area. The Evans City graveyard is where Scene #1 of his first zombie movie, Night of the Living Dead took place.
    The area of the cemetery where the first zombie is encountered is not marked in any way, but with google earth map in hand, we got close... and then my friend found the final clues using his smart phone! Here is the marker the girl was leaning against whilst her brother wrestled the zombie:

NOTLD marker.jpg

I wish I had watched the opening scene of the movie before going... because there are two or three other monuments right around this one that are part of the story! Anyway, here is a close up of the same marker...this is clearly seen in the movie:

NOTLD close up.jpg

Visitors left change all over the monument - I guess it is in exchange for tromping around and taking pictures. What the hey, I dropped fifty cents too...I don't want any bad mojo!

NOTLD tips.jpg

Speaking of tromping around....when we began looking for this spot ( we were a little ways off), one of the first markers we came across was that of a Frankenstein...no kidding...what are the odds?

In town there is a little museum and gift shop which, being open only Fri, Sat and Sun, was closed!

museum.jpg

I really wanted to see the museum and maybe get a t-shirt but....now I have a couple of reasons to go back!

#1 Glockensig, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  2. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

DUde, that's pretty awesome.

3. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

I seem to recall zombies long before Romero.