1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harvest Right DYI Freeze Dryer?

Discussion in 'Food & Water Storage' started by Cameron, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Hey guys, I got a chance to test out the Harvest Right for a couple of weeks. We got about 50 bottles done (but ended up eating 5-6 of them). What do you think? Is the cost worth it vs buying slowly from a manufacturer?

2. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

The reports I have read, you can't quite get the same results as commercial.

And for the same $2800 I can pick up a years worth of entrees and some sides from Emergency Essentials.
    https://beprepared.com/year-supply-of-mountain-house-entrees.html

What is your time and effort worth?

For me that's a tremendous outlay of cash for zero in hand. And while the investment may pay off later, depending upon how much you can put back safely, I can't make it pencil.
    First the initial cash, then the cost of the material itself, and my efforts.

While I can see bonuses to the system, especially if you have the time and money, being able to customize the output is the biggest plus to me.

But I'll be blunt. @$2800 for a toy, I can't justify. Especially when we are considering long term storage, stuff put back for decades, stuff that I can't package as well without spending more money.

For my purpose, a can or so a month of LTS and then dehydrating bags of frozen veggies as I am able, making jerky, gives me a much more viable alternative for my money.
    I end up with product in hand, right now, which makes more sense, at least for me.

Hammer likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Member

Unless you win the lottery : ) , I agree with Whirlibird. Would not mind having one
    if I win the lottery first.