1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ham Radio

Discussion in 'Communication' started by TheSmokinApe, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

Finally got both a UHF and VHF TYT MD-390 GPS in and upgraded the firmware. First thought, they are better then the 380 in a few ways, firstly they are water resistant, with the overall build quality being a bit more rugged, secondly the key back lights are much brighter, which is great for night use, thirdly the speaker is a little better. My only issue is as its still fairly new, there does not seem to be a dry cell case for it get.

http://www.va3xpr.net/programming-software-firmware/

I also picked up a Whistler TRX-1, which is a radio scanner for digital radio (early Christmas present to myself), its a cool bit of kit if you just want to listen.

#81 Mark Z, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    TheSmokinApe and AJ ESCUDERO like this.
  2. TheSmokinApe

TheSmokinApe Well-Known Member

Awesome pick up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

I got my hand on a pair of Baofeng DM-5R, which is currently the lowest cost DMR radio on the market.
    Pluses;
    Its cheap
    Dual band
    Digital is far clearer then analogue

Downside;
    Baofeng say they will be putting out a software upgrade for tier II support, but the consensus online is the DM-5R is NOT compatible with Ham DMR repeaters even after the firmware update is installed. Because it will NOT transmit a true TDMA two time slot signal needed for proper operation on tier II DMR repeaters.

At their price point I see them as a vastly superior FRS radios alternative both in range and in quality, in addition to being harder to listen in too by third parties. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for family/friend comms on a budget, mostly as you get cleaner audio and its more secure.

TheSmokinApe and AJ ESCUDERO like this.
  4. TheSmokinApe

I have been back and forth on these, it would be nice if they worked on repeaters but they will not without a chip upgrade. You make a great point about point to point comms in digital thought combined with the price point.

I keep holding out thinking I will find a dual band digital that works on repeaters for under 200 but I am not convinced it will happen anytime soon.

5. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

They have their issues, like I can't get them to talk to my other DMR radios, although this may be doable with the TYT's I own through programming. This may be a positive thing as its a lot more challenging for others to listen in and for most preppers, its about communicating with known people in the case of an emergency or shft.

These things do analogue too, I'd say they are worth the money and if I were in a area with natural disasters I'd programme them up for FRS/GMRS frequencies, which will allow you to talk to others, or switch to digital and talk to family and friends without needing to worry about everyone being able to hear you.

TheSmokinApe likes this.
  6. TheSmokinApe

Yeah, I am going to have to look into these. I am guessing they won't work with the others because these are tier 1?

7. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

Yep, Tier I specifies short range/licence-free use, mainly for personal or recreational use.

8. TheSmokinApe

I put together a quick video about Baofeng radios and how people sometimes turn their noses up at the radios and sometimes their users...

mountainman and AJ ESCUDERO like this.
  9. mountainman

mountainman Moderator
    Staff Member

Very nice video.
    Great points too

Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good things to other.

Plato

TheSmokinApe likes this.