1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baofeng Radios for SHTF

Discussion in 'Communication' started by TheSmokinApe, Oct 11, 2016.

1. TheSmokinApe

TheSmokinApe Well-Known Member

Just some thoughts on Baofeng radios and SHTF...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

AJ ESCUDERO likes this.
  2. Easy E

Easy E Well-Known Member

I find it mind boggling that ISIS "International Goat fuckers" are able to set these things up and me living in the US havent had any luck picking up anything other than the National Weather feed.

TheSmokinApe likes this.
  3. Mark Z

Mark Z Well-Known Member

The stock antennas on all radios are absolute trash, but if you are in a low humidly, relatively flat area like a desert, even trash works okay. Best bet is get a better after market mobile antenna, probably a mag mount antenna for the car/truck and a base antenna for the highest point of the house.

TheSmokinApe likes this.
  4. TheSmokinApe

TheSmokinApe Well-Known Member

Lol, have you tried using chirp?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bckcntrytrout and AJ ESCUDERO like this.
  5. AJ ESCUDERO

AJ ESCUDERO Well-Known Member
    Donating Member

+1 on chirp, or helped exponentially

Sent from my Samsung Note

TheSmokinApe likes this.
  6. Robert Ream

Robert Ream Member

my one uncle manages 4 towers or repeaters in a neighboring county. I still havent got a license yet. I moved 2 hrs away from my old place and into the mountains with my relatives. Where i used to live, I good listen to maybe a half dozen "channels" on a regular basis. Because of more people and its still big in some areas of the country. They have ham fests and what not. Where I live, ill get the weather feed from state college and nothing else. Which is unusual because unless you live in a town, you wont get cell service or its spotty. People are more apt to use walkie talkies. You can get landline and sattellite service. Not much else. Which Im thinking you might be able to get better reception over distance with a ham radio instead.

AJ ESCUDERO likes this.
  7. Chuck Reid

Chuck Reid New Member

Chirp is a bit of a bear to understand and setup, thankfully there are a few good YouTube videos on chirp. I used it to setup radios for my family members with all the gmrs/furs/murs and local repeaters.