1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apartment Prepping

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Katrina Wamsley, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Katrina Wamsley

Katrina Wamsley Well-Known Member

So, I live a small apartment. I've been doing home preps as I can, and I've got a pretty good supply of the basics (food, water, hygiene) that I could make it a month or so. Honestly probably longer. I'm looking now into continuing with my preps since winter is coming fast.

What would be a good cooking system that I can use as an alternative when the power is out? I have a charcoal stove I can use outside for now..

And then any other recommendations send them my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

Cannister stoves like a Jetboil are relatively safe indoors. I have used them before on my stove. Camping stoves like from Coleman with the burners could be useful as well. Stay away from alcohol or white gas stoves. I nearly burned the apartment down.

Katrina Wamsley likes this.
  3. Katrina Wamsley

Katrina Wamsley Well-Known Member

I'll have to check into Jetboil stoves. Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

MSR makes Windburner stoves that I prefer for outdoors since they handle the wind better but jetboil has options that might work better for indoors. Although, they will always not recommend indoors obviously.

5. Z-Cat

Z-Cat New Member

My mom lives in an apartment, I got her a little sterno stove and a couple of cans of sterno so she can warm up some supper when the power goes out. Safe, easy and cheap.

6. SD Woodsman

SD Woodsman Member

I have one of the old Coleman stoves. I haven't used it inside the house but I might go and test it out to see how viable it would be in an outage. I've always just went outside and thrown some coal in the grill hehe

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Cook by lantern light.

Lehman's has a Dietz lantern that you can cook on. Will post the link tomorrow, the phone is being stubborn.