1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

alternative food procurement

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Trapping' started by Whirlibird, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Whirlibird

Whirlibird Well-Known Member

Going to ask on this one, as I don't want to offend.

What is the position on food gathering methods that are grey or downright illegal right now but may be of service in an emergency or post SHTF?

livingsurvival likes this.
  2. six

six Well-Known Member

My thoughts: Hungry is hungry. There is no greater motivators for action than hunger, thirst, or pain.

While I appreciate game management efforts and understand why we have laws and I do obey all such laws: I do not recognize nor accept the idea of the King's Deer in the King's Forest. If I'm hungry because the world has gone off the rails and food is scarce or non-existent via normal trade, I will not hesitate to kill game or take fish out of their normal seasons or from locations the law would dictate not to.

Your question was somewhat vague, so I'll leave it at that instead of letting my imagination run wild regarding looting, cannibalism, eating the neighbors cat, etc.

3. livingsurvival

livingsurvival Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed.

mountainman likes this.
  4. Whirlibird

I'll take that as a go ahead.

Disclaimer: This is for information purposes, and if you get caught doing anything illegal, you are on your own.

In many places in the world, you have geese and other fowl.
    Without a firearm, some birds are difficult to take at best.

However, depending upon your location and the materials you have on hand, one can make some fairly effective traps that require minimal attention.

First up, the bucket trap.
    The bucket trap is an easy way to utilize those extra 5 gallon buckets that we all have laying around.

Start by gathering a tarp, a shovel, your bucket and some "bait". Corn, barley, wheat all work but sticking with what the critters are eating normally does help.

Hopefully you have made some notes where the birds are feeding and can access these without prying eyes taking notice.

Take your bucket and use your shovel to cut around the bucket to mark the outer diameter and start digging.
    This is where the tarp comes in handy, moving and disposing of the extra dirt.

Once you have the hole deep enough to fully "bury" the bucket up to the rim, lightly fill in around the bucket to keep the bucket in place and eliminate any places where the bird may stick a foot and be scared away.

I like to leave the lid on during the burying process, to keep the bucket clean inside.

Once you have cleared up your mess, put down some bait, getting the quantity heavier around the bucket.
    Remove the lid and put some bait in the bucket.

Either set more traps or skedaddle. Check them a couple times a day.

In 'goose' country, the goose will walk along eating the bait and jump down into the bucket after the bait. Geese can't jump out, and can't extend their wings to fly or help themselves out of the bucket.

Warning: Geese in the trap are generally noisy and will attract both people and predators.

I have seen geese live trapped and relocated by simply slipping the lid on top and pulling the bucket out for transport.

A variation on this can be found in the military survival manuals.

In this case a trench is dug, in a thin "V" shape, getting deeper as the trench narrows.
    The trench is cut to the size of the critter, grouse, pheasant, so it can stick it's head up to look around.
    The bird walks into the trench, it narrows to a point where the bird can't turn around, raise it's wings or back up.

As with most traps, your mileage may vary. I have seen the bucket trap work extremely well, both legally and otherwise.

More to follow.

six likes this.
  5. Whirlibird

For those who are land locked, or have only minimal water exposure, fishing nets can still be highly productive.

I have an old (50+ years) gill net and as a food producer, it's been one of the best.

Strung out along game trails, one can drive rabbits into it or let them wander into it.

Set up to one side of scattered grain, one can flush a covey of birds into one.

Set up flat, one can scare deer onto it. This will tear up a net, fair warning.

Put on the inside of high places, think bell tower, can catch pigeons as they come in to roost.

Set up in a pond or river, mesh size is critical. Too large, you miss the smaller panfish. Too small, the lunkers just don't get hung up.

This also applies to seines. Growing up in the sticks, we often grabbed the seine and went out and hit the local ponds before fishing. Two or three trips out and back per pond generally "netted" us enough for minnows for bait, more tadpoles than one can shake a stick at (which were returned), and crawdads for dinner.

Surprisingly enough, a fish spear was an amazing tool for a couple of teens. The traditional flat "Neptune's trident" worked OK, but a round Asian style was pure murder.
    Fish, frogs, and some other critters fell to a couple of teens with more regard for going to bed hungry than some game laws. Not knowing about seasons was probably an advantage looking back.

Bows and fishing arrows, some days were surprisingly good for fish and fowl.
    Blunts or judo points worked well in small furry critters.
    My friend had a nice compound bow,and after shooting completely through several fish and small game animals, and after losing a number of good arrows, he quickly switched to a light recurve like me, using cheap discount store arrows.
    Those bows saw a lot of use, sending line across streams to pull nets and trot lines into position, fish from the banks and boats, small game, and something for kids to do pre-internet.

I'm still no archer, rabbits generally ran in front of my arrows committing suicide rather than any level of skill on my part.

For the most part, one can make any of these things as needed, but if you ever try to make a gill net let alone a seine, you will learn why purchasing these ahead of time is recommended. Highly.

Plus right now, these items are available and inexpensive. Always something to consider.

More to follow.

#5 Whirlibird, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    six likes this.
  6. Whirlibird

Okay, been trying to come up with a polite way of touching these aspects.

One is for some, a major hit in the pride.
    The other, blatantly illegal currently.

First though we will discuss road kill, or even better road injured animals.
    I don't recommend hunting with a Cadillac, but some seem very good at it. And depending upon your location, your local F&G or Sheriffs department may have a call list of "needy" people who are willing to go out and salvage a road killed deer (elk, moose).
    Granted you may only save half the critter, between bloodshot and bruising, but it's still free meat that is organic, you know how it's processed and extremely fresh.
    Contact your local Sheriffs office to find out about this.
    It's another good reason to stay on the good side of local LE.
    Couple of points, the calls for this never come at a "good time", but get up out of bed and go claim the prize or you may not remain on the list. Our dispatchers purged the list regularly of those who didn't answer or had better things to do.

7. Whirlibird

Part 2: Roadkill

Depending on your local laws, picking up road kill may or may not be legal, please check yourselves.

Every day millions of critters are thumped by vehicles. Some, like small birds are generally obliterated and are useless. Others, like raccoons and armadillos can take a pummeling and walk off.
    It's surprising how many of these critters just have head wounds and are fine eating at least before 16 Kenworths run them over.
    I have seen it countless times over the years, deer starts out onto the highway and gets hit upside the head with the bumper/fender and just spins off the road dead and lost to most. If the driver is running a deer guard, he likely ain't even going to stop.
    I carry a waterproof blanket in the back of my vehicle. If the conditions are right, (no witnesses), I will scoop up that deer and go.
    If you drive a particular road you may see a deer that wasn't there 20 minutes ago, fresh meat.
    If the blood is dried, I am unlikely to take it. Frozen and still bright red, no problem. If the eyes aren't clear, no thanks.

I used to get calls at all hours from our local dispatch, as our local warden had a hard time going out after 5pm and before 9am. So if a deputy wasn't available, they'd ask me to go finish the critter off. If I took it, that was my problem.
    One deer, was still alive but was literally so worm ridden, I actually gloved up to drag it off the road, what a waste.

If you are going to glean the highways leftovers sans permission, speed is of the essence. Both to keep the meat from spoiling, but to avoid witnesses.

8. Whirlibird

William Shakespeare beyond being a writer of better than fair prose, was also reputed to take a number of the kings deer to supplement his pantry and put some coin in his purse.

I am not advocating anything illegal here, just relating what I have seen.

Hunting out of season, or taking more than your tag allows, a sticky subject for sure. But in a personal SHTF rather than a systemic or national situation may be necessary and even overlooked.
    Growing up there were always those families barely keeping their heads above water. One family I particularly remember well, just could never catch up. After injuries and job loss, bad luck was their only companion. I watched the Game Warden purchase a combination small game/fishing license for the dad out of his own pocket.
    Our warden was merciless on trophy hunters, meat wasters and the like. But to those in genuine need, I watched him deliver deer carcasses, turn a blind eye to the taking of dry does, and more. But those people truly had to need it. Long retired, I still have the upmost respect for him.

Back on track/topic, in certain situations, it may be required that one partakes of natures bounty, at the wrong time.

Couple of pertinent points:
    1: Don't tell anyone! Seriously, not your brother in law, neighbor, and especially any children under the age of comprehension. If they are a blabber box, or trying to impress, or just can't grasp "we don't talk about this", then they aren't told or shown anything. Ever.

2: Evidence.
    In today's world, evidence is key.
    Those ultra warm custom boots may grip like mad in the muck, but those $30 Walmart rubber boots are on millions of feet out there. Camouflage is a good thing, but again, if it doesn't match the stuff worn by other people, you will be noticed.

Okay, the little things for your consideration.
    Threaded barrels, used to be that you saw a threaded barrel on a rifle, a .22 especially, you knew you were looking at a poacher.
    Nowadays, with the threaded barrel being standard on so many guns this is no longer the dead giveaway it once was. I highly recommend going with the threaded barrel version of most rifles/handguns when possible.
    One never knows about tomorrow and what you may need, better to have and not raise questions later.
    Those threaded muzzle brakes? Love 'em, just go with the non permanent model.

There was a time that higher power guns were all in vogue, magnums that could kill way out there.problem one, it's way out there and you need to go retrieve it. Part two, the noise and blast.

Today, the folding stock AK and AR (.300BO) are fast becoming the chosen tools in certain areas.
    Just enough range, just enough power. Small, compact and easily hidden, with the advantage of being fairly weather impervious just in case one has to stash and retrieve later.
    Same for the .22 rifle. Many of the old timers who used long bolt actions for years have switched, for example to a threaded barrel Ruger 10/22 Takedown with a synthetic stock. One older gent switched to a Ruger Charger.

As the technology improves, one needs to be aware of it, and adapt.
    One old boy, well aware of the risks, had a 10" Contender barrel built with an integral can. Originally a .357 Max, loaded with .38's and handloaded with the appropriate bullets and powder, it is Hollywood quiet.
    Others have turned or returned to the humble cartridge adapter.
    Basically a steel chamber liner that allows the use of .32ACP in a .308 for example, these are great for small game gathering while out big game hunting. My complaint, they use small, light bullets that reduce their effectiveness in this most crucial of areas.
    I hand load for my adapter, a 115 gr bullet intended for the .32Mag, it will shoot through a deer skull and is very quiet.
    One must understand the sight offset using adapters or hand loaded specialty rounds, (separate thread) however if one is lucky, the scope will match settings at one particular range. Or in the case of a military gun that you can raise the rear sight to match.